RE: Limey

To: "Richard Jackson" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>, "Lindberg, Andrew" <Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com>
Subject: RE: Limey
From: ping0160 <Bernard.Christian-Woodruff@ping.be>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 97 19:38:46 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
For once in my career as a reader of the list I can add my penny's worth
to this!!
Living in Belgium means I have contact with people from the Netherlands
who are affectionatley referred to as "cheese heads" by their friendly
Belgian neighbours - they do make some excellent stuff!!
Back in the early days of New York, there were a lot of Dutch settlers
there, so much so that I believe that New York was very nearly New
Amsterdam.....
To cut a long story short, the Dutch referred to their New World
neighbours as "Young Cheeses" - which in dutch is pronounced
(phonetically) "yan kees". So there you have it.

Bern.