Re: TR3 Radio

To: "Carl Musson (EVENTS)" <musson@arts.usf.edu>, Paulsv@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Radio
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:00:54 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At  5:46 PM 9/13/96 -0400, Carl Musson (EVENTS) wrote:
>I saw an installation similar to what you described about 20 years ago.
>My recollection was that it was painted with the krinkle type paint
>similar to the center panel in the dash.. Or at
>least the fascia was.  sides, etc. I dunno...
>

>On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 Paulsv@aol.com wrote:
>
>> I have a question to pose to the collective wisdom of the list.  I have some
>> literature that was published in one of the TR register publications several
>> years ago concerning the optional (dealer installed?) radio kit for the TR3.
>>  This literature includes drawings for the brackets that hold the radio and
>> speaker on the top of the trans tunnel cover, and form kind of a console or
>> facia in front of the gearshift that the radio and speaker faces were mounted
>> into.  It appears to be relatively easy to fabricate from sheet metal.
>> However, there is nothing in the literature about what the finish on these
>> parts was.  Are they painted or vinyl covered, and in what color?  Anyone out
>> there with an original Smiths Radiomobile installation who could let me know?

AAARRRRGG!!!!
I just spent over an hour looking for the photos.  About 4 or 5 years back
a TR3 from Calgery Canada came down to the Portland All British Field meet
with that radio installed.  I took a series of pictures of it and made a
drawing with overall dimensions.  And of course I can not find them to

The radio I believe was PYE.

The basic enclosure was three sided (front, both sides).  The front is
rectangular.  The sides, made from the same sheet as the front, came back
about a half inch.  The rear edge was vertical for about a third of the way
from the top, went diagonal twords the rear, then went horizontal.  There
was a flange that stuck aout at about 45 degrees along the bottom  for
mounting to the tounnel.  The lower side was a little longer than the
radio.

There was a second rectangular sheet of sheet metal shaped like an inverted
'U' with very short sides.  This fit inside the vertical three sided sheet
forming a top that the radio was mounted under.  It was level with the top
of the rear horizontal area.

There was a tube type PYE AM radio mounted at the bottom front under the
sheet metal top.  There was a 5X9 oval speaker mounted at the front above
the radio behind a chrome grill.  The finish was crinkle black.

 _
| |
| |  <- speaker mount        side view
| |
|  \
|   \
|    \______ <- sheet metal top inside at this level
|           | <- radio box
|___________| <- diagonal mounting flange

On the positive side I found macro photos of an original TR3 washer pump
knob I didn't remember having

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com