TRF gearbox cover and rear hubs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TRF gearbox cover and rear hubs
From: davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark )
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 19:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

After spending my last weekend refurbishing the rear axels, bearings,
u-joints, etc only to find that one of the 'new' axels I got off of a
'78 had a slight bend that I didn't catch with the straight edge but
was VERY evident when turning the axel when re-attached (ARGHHH!!!!)I
have decided to move on to a few more petty thing for a while. One of
them being to install my ne gearbox cover from TRF so I don't get my
feet wet THIS winter.

The installation, of course, is straight foward enough but my question
to y'all is this:  In your experience,  what have you found to be the
best heat shield for the inside of the cover,  how did you attach it?
Also,  I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to wether or not it
would get hot enough to melt if I went ahead and put it in until I
Found a suitable solution?

Thanks,

David

BTW FWIW:  I noticed a sort'a uprising in the spit' hubs again(maybe it

was on the big list).  When I pulled mine off,  I made a tools simialar

to a gear puller on steroids.  It took me only 10-15 minutes per hub.
I had to do 4 of them (two were on the car and two were off).  I am
just greatfull I didn't read the posts before I tried to do this!

Anyway,  I just sent it to Jeff Monks down in Florida to let him try it

out.  If he had the same luck with it as I had I was considering
passing it around to people on the list for a while IF there was any
interest.  Has anyone else come up with a easy way to remove them?