RE: TR6 clutch problem

Subject: RE: TR6 clutch problem
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 09:26:00 CDT
Encoding: 40 TEXT
Phil,

> I drove my TR6 for the first time in 14 years yesterday

Congratulations!  I bet that feels great...

> trigger-like clutch.

It's most likely a broken clutch-fork pin.  The fork that carries the
throwout bearing is attached to the cross-shaft by a tapered, threaded pin.
 These pins break all the time.  This allows the fork to rotate a few
degrees on the shaft before the broken pieces wedge in place and lock
everything back up.  I've read about several "permanent fixes," but I don't
remember any details and I haven't tried them, so I can't recommend that.  A
correctly installed pin will last about as long as a clutch disk, so the
recommendation is to replace this pin any time you have the tranny out.

Other possibilities are slop in the pedal assembly and/or the clevis end of
the slave rod, mis-matched disk/pressure-plate/ throwout bearing, and of
course, hydraulics.

You seem to have discounted the hydraulics.  The next easiest to check is
the pedal assembly and slave rod.  Look for holes that have egged.

Checking the fork pin and mismatched components requires removing the
tranny, so check that last.  Just as a data point, I recently discovered
that brand new Borg & Beck disks & pressure plates are available.  Most
people try to sell you remanufactured units.  I found the new units were
only about 20% more than remanufactured.  I bought the parts locally,
though, so I can't tell you who the distributor is (unless you want to call
my local shop and ask him to ship to you, which I expect he'd be happy to
do).

Good luck--sorry to hear about the setback.

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com
Huntsville, AL