Re: Spit Parts

To: "Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles" <rvince00@counsel.com>
Subject: Re: Spit Parts
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 23:02:26 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles wrote:

> Also, the Mk. I has a Mk. II exhaust manifold on it.  Is it
> possible that since the chassis no. is one of the last Mk. I
> models the factory simply began sticking on the Mk. II manifolds?
> Or is it more likely that the previous owner swapped the Mk. II
> for the original Mk. I manifold?

Either is a possibility; my references aren't too clear on when the
change was made. However, the point may be moot because...

>  And last, the no. on the engine
> block, GD33718HE, doesn't seem to match up with ANY nos. I've seen
> [snip]

...that's because what you have is a Triumph Herald 1200 motor, probably
circa 1964-65. Don't panic, though. The only obvious external difference
you or anyone is likely to spot is the engine number, assuming most all
the Spitfire goodies were transferred over, and it sounds as if they
were. The GD is the later 1200 and (in the home country) the 12/50 motor,
with a higher output (48-51 hp.) than the original 1200 engine (39 hp.).
I can't tell you offhand part for part, but I suspect that internally the
engine is almost identical as well, with the possible exception of things
like valve springs, cam profile, and/or composition of big-end and main
bearings.

Yes, it would be worth it to round up an original era Spitfire 4 block
(FC41xxxHE) and an original cast-iron manifold, but ONLY if you're really
into the 400 point concours stuff. If not, I'd say let it go. There are
relatively few of us out there who know the detail differences well
enough to hassle you about them. ;-)

On parts suppliers, I second the votes for TRF in the U.S., as well as
the UK suppliers such as Kipping, Rimmer Bros. and TriumphTune. The UK
folk are unbeatable for large items such as rebuilt trannies, for which
you pay DEARLY from the "big three" U.S. suppliers.

Andy Mace