Re: Wire Wheels and Luggage Rack

To: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels and Luggage Rack
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 22:39:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 28 Aug 1995 Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU wrote:

> On wire wheels,
>       5.  BWW and Moss catalogs indicate 48 spoke wheels for the TR3 and 60
> spoke wheels for the TR4.  I always thought the 60 spoke wheels were stronger
> and therefore better, but there's little or no difference in price - any
> comments?   Also, would the 60 spoke wheel look that noticeably wrong on a
> TR3, or would it only make a difference to purists?

According to the original factory spare parts catalogue, 60-spoke wheels
were listed as an option, in "Lacquered, Aluminum, Dull Chrome or Bright
Chrome" finishes. Therefore, a knowledgeable judge would NOT deduct for
them. I'd go with them myself, rather than the 48s; stronger and (I
think) wider.

> On the luggage rack,
>       1.  Moss shows two types: the "Authentic English Styling...Practical
> Good Looks" type for $150, described as hand made in England by craftsmen,
> and the other is by AMCO, "the exact dealer installed optional luggage rack
> of the 60's and 70's" for $140.  I've only seen the AMCO rack and I think it
> looks good.  What's the consensus on the other style?  Is it more original?

I'd suspect that you'd have been more likely to find the AMCO rack
installed on TRs in the United States. There is a "luggage grid" listed
in the spare parts catalogue, but it is not pictured.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andy Mace

p.s. So long as you're thinking about adding options, don't forget that
you can't combine wire wheels with the "rear wheel cover kit" (fender
skirts to us 'murricans). ;-)