Re: Spit Parts

To: rvince00@counsel.com
Subject: Re: Spit Parts
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 00:35:13 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, Cc:@rgfn.epcc.Edu

> To:   Triumph Mail List,      Triumph Subscribers     Inet
>

>Last week several Triumph owners wrote about their experiences
>ordering and receiving parts from VB and TRF.  I am about to
>commence a complete restoration of a '64 Spit Mk. I (Chassis no.
>41955) and have collected catalogs from VB, TRF, Special Interest
>Carparts, Rimmer Bros., Apple Hydraulics, etc.
>
>Is there a general consensus among the members of this subscriber
>list that one organization is better than the others in terms of
>parts availability and delivery?  Price is not a real high
>priority since in looking through the catalogs it seems as though
>most parts are priced within 10 to 15 percent of each other and
>frankly, I'm always willing to pay a wee bit more for better
>service and quality.  I would appreciate any and all input.
>
>Also, the Mk. I has a Mk. II exhaust manifold on it.  Is it
>possible that since the chassis no. is one of the last Mk. I
>models the factory simply began sticking on the Mk. II manifolds?
>Or is it more likely that the previous owner swapped the Mk. II
>for the original Mk. I manifold?  And last, the no. on the engine
>block, GD33718HE, doesn't seem to match up with ANY nos. I've seen
>in any Triumph books, Haynes manual, etc. for engine nos.  What's
>up with that?  Do I have a "rogue" motor?  Perhaps it was stamped
>on Monday morning after a long holiday weekend of heavy drinking.
>Perhaps the engine builder had a sense of humor.  Thanks
>everybody.
>
>RDV - '64 Spit (well, almost); '68 Datsun 1600 Roadster (beginning
>to show its age).

RDV,
Most might disagree, but I have had the best luck with receiving complete
orders and fewer backorders. TRF has some better prices, but shipping
time to my location is three days longer than VB. I just ordered a
transmixer for my 68 GT6. Cost was $600. from VB, no core charge and they
paid the freight. Compare to $699. plus $200.core from Moss and TRF.

On the manifold, you are in luck. A member of our local BMC owns a
foundry and has just received an order for 300 MK1 exhaust manifolds.
I'll try to get in touch with hime and let you know availability and cost.
Tony R.
69GT6
68GT6
64TR4