Re: Wire Wheels and Luggage Rack

To: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels and Luggage Rack
From: JHarroun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:09:20 -0400
Alan,

Let me offer my experiences with wire wheels.  They are undeniably the
prettiest type of wheels available, and the knock-offs are actually
practical.  On the other hand, you have to use inner tubes, it is hard to
find a gas station willing to work on them, and you MUST keep them maintained
properly.

When I was much younger, and very foolish, I drove a TR-3 with poorly
maintained wire wheels.  The spokes actually failed on the proverbial
twisting mountain road.  My wife and I survived the accident, but the car
didn't.

In addition to shorter studs (I have heard you can just saw them off, but
they shouldn't be very expensive to replace with short ones.) you will need
the special short lug nuts.  They look sort of like jam-nuts.  If you are
going to invest all the money in wire wheels, I would buy a set of hubs as
well.

I have sworn off wire wheels myself, but I would think more spokes are
better, unless all you plan to do is take your car to shows.  TR-3's corner
badly enough without worrying about wheel flex.

Jim Harroun
TR-3B (Can I call it a car when most of it is in boxes?)