Re: Removing rear drums on a 250

To: Gary Schneider <gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com>
Subject: Re: Removing rear drums on a 250
From: Bill Sohl Budd Lake <billsohl@planet.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 23:32:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Gary Schneider wrote:

> >>Seems easy, but I can get the adjusters to turn to back the >shoes away from
> >>the drums.  Any tips for this?
> >>TIA (thanks in advance).
> >
> >That's CAN'T get the adjusters...
> >
> Thought that might be the case, unless you were just bragging to make the
> rest of us unlucky souls feel bad. ;-)
>
> If its got the square-headed adjuster, the official square wrench is
> critical. An open-end wrench has too little contact area and will likely
> round off the adjuster. Then you're _really_ in trouble. The square wrench
> lets you apply lots of persuasion. Plenty of penetrating oil soaking it for
> awhile, then heat from a propane torch have always done it for me. It may
> take half an afternoon of creative cussing but eventually your irresistible
> force overcomes the immoveable object.
> Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies

A good substitute for the correct tool is the following:  Go to
Sears and buy a 3/8" 8 point socket for a 1/4" drive.  Use the
1/4" side (the 4 point side) on the adjuster and use a regular 3/8
drive on the 8 point side.  That'll give you the best contact
without worrying about the 3/8 socket slipping.

Bill Sohl  K2UNK     (Budd lake, New Jersey)      (billsohl@planet.net)
VTR Assistant Magazine Editor, Past VTR President (1983-1990)