Re: Accel coil, problems?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Accel coil, problems?
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 01:20:08 -0400
Ahh  you have stumbled across a problem I posted on the SOL list before this
list started.

It causes quite a stirr.  I think someone ended up dialing up a couple of
Martians on the net to explain all the wizardry involved in those very
generic coils.

I'm not gonna go into all the pages and pages of techinical info that those
guys posted, but suffice to say that the coil you installed is only meant to
run at 6V I think.  It can run at 12 V for a very sort time (as they do when
starting modern cars) but quickly over heat with sustained use.  There is
supposed to be some sort of ballast resistor in the ignition circuit if you
want to use the coil you bought.

I did very nearly the same thing about a year ago.  Couldn't get half way up
the street before misfiring started.  Let the car sit a minute, and it would
run another hundred yards.  I put the very old original coil back in, and
things work fine.  I later switched to a lucas sport coil purchased from TRF
or Moss or something.   These coils are designed to work on our cars (meaning
they work at 12v at all times, not just during the starting process)

Good luck

Scott Tilton
Enjoying the TR in VA