Re: Commission Numbers??

To: David Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Commission Numbers??
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 16:45:28 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, David Brock wrote:

> I'm following the thread on Comm/Body/etc numbers to try to figure out a
> little more about my Spit...  I hope somebody might be able to help:
>
> Block:  FM17528UE
> Commission (Door Panel): FM3812U
> Body (Bonnet Panel): 4830FM
>
> While the car is in Canada, and I beleive it has been for a while, it is a
> RHD, and has the markings of a 1500, thought not completely.

What 1500 "markings" does it have (going by U.S. versions, my only frame
of reference)? Wood dashboard, "Spitfire 1500" badging, twin license plate
lamps flanking the rear plate (instead of lamp on the bumper)?

> I bought it as a '73, but my research into the Haynes makes me think that
> it's really been pieced apart and back together since '73.

>From those numbers, that would be my guess as well. My experience has
been that body and commission numbers are not usually all that far apart
(1,000+ in your case; normally, more like within 100 or so). Additionally,
your engine number is much, much higher than the commission and body
numbers; the engine looks to be about 1974 vintage.

> Q: Did Triumph change the desigh during production years, not just at the
> change (ie: were all '73 spits exaclty the same (barring options) at
> production time, or did they evolve as the year wore on, to become the '74???

My observation is that running changes were a bit less common in the
1970s (although they still existed to some degree) due to the stricter
nature of, for example, U.S. legislation affecting safety and emissions.
Therefore, with the possible exception of very early and very late
1973s, most all 1973s destined for a given market would probably be
pretty much the same. The "a given market" caveat is important, in that
Spitfires in the home market were still using the 1296cc, dual-carb
engine, while we in the U.S. were getting cars with the single-carb "1500"
engine.

If you're willing to spend the $40, I think a trace of your car through
BMH might prove very interesting.

Andy Mace