Re: Commission Numbers??

To: dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca (David Brock), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Commission Numbers??
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 08:32:39 -0400 "Commission Numbers??" (Jul 3, 4:24pm)
> Subject: Commission Numbers??
> I'm following the thread on Comm/Body/etc numbers to try to figure out a
> little more about my Spit...  I hope somebody might be able to help:
>
> Block:  FM17528UE
> Commission (Door Panel): FM3812U
> Body (Bonnet Panel): 4830FM
>
> While the car is in Canada, and I beleive it has been for a while, it is a
> RHD, and has the markings of a 1500, thought not completely.

Since the car is RHD, it wouldn't have been a 1500 model. The Brits didn't
get the 1500 model until '75. It should have Mark IV id on it, and a 1300
engine.

> I bought it as a '73, but my research into the Haynes makes me think that
> it's really been pieced apart and back together since '73.
>

>From the Commission number, it is a '73, but there should be a plate just
below the latch on the dog-leg that has the construction date on it. This
is also the plate where the color and trim numbers are stamped.

> Q: Did Triumph change the desigh during production years, not just at the
> change (ie: were all '73 spits exaclty the same (barring options) at
> production time, or did they evolve as the year wore on, to become the '74???

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing added during the model year
would be the large over-riders on the bumpers. These would have been
required to be installed after a certain date. However, the Brit-spec
version would not have these.

> TIA,
>
> David
>
> --
> dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca  <David M Brock>
> The University of Western Ontario
>
> I'm not going to bother with a .sig file for now.
>-- End of excerpt from David Brock

Otherwise, I would have to agree with what Andy has written. The engine
is not original to the car.

Doug Mitchell