Re: Big nut torque question

To: ccamley@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Big nut torque question
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 18:44:56 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 4 Apr 1995 ccamley@mmm.com wrote:

> This Mechanic's Feel thing has come up a couple of times.  "Zen and
> the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" really touched me when I read it
> (almost 20 years ago).  I wonder how it would read in 1995.  Of
> course I like to think I have the touch, but how does one know?
> How does one help someone else acquire it?  Can it be learned?

        I'd say it can only be learned through experience.  It's the
sinking feeling you get when torquing Triumph lug nuts and they seem to
'get a little easier'.  It's the 'wrong' feeling you get when cross
threading a spark plug into an aluminum cylinder head.
        I think mechanic's feel is analogous to PRO-Rally driving.  You
only know you've turned too far after it's over, but if you're careful, you
can feel it coming.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6