Re: Big nut torque question

To: Strativary@aol.com
Subject: Re: Big nut torque question
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:26:33 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995 Strativary@aol.com wrote:
> fasteners> duly noted from recent BCD reading.  My question is
> (at last) How does one torque this nut to spec?  With a torque
> wrench?  The motor turns over at far less than the desired torque.
> With the car-in-4th-gear-person-inside-all-brakes-on-hard, we get
> the "mechanics feeling" that something (like the clutch or tranny)
> will snap before we reach spec torque.
        I'll bite on this one.  Mechanic's feeling is a good thing to pay
attention to, so you're doing the right thing by being cautious.
To torque this crank pulley nut to spec, you need a special tool.  Now,
this isn't just any tool, it's a very fancy, cool tool.  It's the
Vise-Grip chain tool.  It'll allow you to lock onto the crank pulley by
the v-belt groove, so you can torque on the crank pulley nut without the
crank pulley spinning.
        My Vise-Grip chain tool serves a wide range of tool needs,
from spring compressor to tow chain to brake reservoir cap remover.  It's
really well worth the 17.50 I paid for it.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6