Re: Alternator/Dynamo woes...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator/Dynamo woes...
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <spitfire@acquirer.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:40:11 +0100
James and Donald - thanks for the prompt replies.

JC > I have an A127 in my Mk3 - no photo of it though...

The rotation of the A127 - is sensitive to which direction it is rotated.

JC> You have bypassed the black regulator box on the firewall havent you?
JC> There are instructions on the web somewhere for this.

I'll have a google shortly for these instructions. As for the
control/regulator box, eh, no I did not remove it. Actually, I changed the
dynamo to the alternator and the control box for a new one at the same time.
I will try this hopefully during the week.

DL> To polarise the dynamo, briefly connect the F terminal of the dynamo to
DL> the ungrounded side of the battery (+ve terminal for -ve ground and vice
DL> versa.)

There was a satisfying crack as I connected and disconnected the 'F'
terminal from the positive terminal on my battery (car is converted to
negative earth). Unfortunately, the engine decided not to start up for me,
mainly due to the fact that I had flattened the battery during the day. (I
even have a larger 58Ah one). A flatish battery along with a heavyish rain
shower has halted work today. With a fully charged battery tomorrow evening,
I should have some better news.

Thanks again guys for the replys

Best regards,

Aidan