Alternator/Dynamo woes...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator/Dynamo woes...
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <spitfire@acquirer.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:19:30 +0100
Have a relatively new dynamo, less than 500 miles over two years, but it's
not charging the battery. I suspect that I didn't do the install too well.
Anyway, it's generating about 2 volts (across it's two terminals) when the
RPM is 1000.

* What is the procedure for "polarizing" the dynamo - I may not have done
this when I installed the dynamo.

Anyway, I'm hoping to do an alternator swap. I got a salvage one from a
Rover Metro (UK) 1.1, the Lucas A127-45 model. EUR35 was not too bad from
the local scrap yard.

* Does anyone out there have any photos of a Mk1/2/3 alternator swap with
the A127?

The A127 is also generating 2 volts across it's terminals at 1000 rpm. I've
also installed a new control box (which is sealed). The connections appear
OK, and I've tested for an broken/shorted cables. I suspect that I'm going
to have to unpick the wiring harness for this.

At this stage I'm rambling, but one last thing...

Has anyone, apart from the UK guy in the last Spitfire Magazine used the
Ford EDIS4 electronic ignition control unit. I've ordered most bits, and
would hope to get it done for the end of next month. (picasso.org/mjlj) That
is assuming I can get 12V out of the engine somewhere.

Thanks in advance...

Aidan
Mk2 - FC 83365

PS - Have been very quiet on the list for almost two years - have been
occasionally looking at the digest when it arrives, but have had much on the
family side of things to do.