converting a 1500 hardtop into a targa top - feasible?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: converting a 1500 hardtop into a targa top - feasible?
From: Emiel Rorije <emiel.rorije@terra.es>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:03:40 +0200
Hi listers,

some time ago I had this wild idea to make my hardtop more useful by
converting it into a targa roof. Basically by cutting the hardtop in two
and adding some hardware that would make it possible to take of the the
roof-part, but let the rear-window + quarter-window part stay on the car.

I have gone no further then venting this idea to my brother (who loved
it) and my wife (who says I am crazy cutting up a good hardtop), and
before starting out of the blue, or giving upwithout starting, I would
like to hear your comments. Stupid idea? great idea but unworkable?
Anyone tried anything like that and has some tips on how to make the
connection between the cut parts?

Would love to have some feedback from you.

Emiel Rorije
Brooklands Green 1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500TC
Barcelona
Spain.