Re: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question

To: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:29:43 -0400
At 10:53 PM 7/13/2004 -0400, Ken Strayhorn wrote:

>They are on the car and I have a good leak-free line from the carbs to the
>distributor.
>
>So, looks like I have the proper mechanical setup. Set it to 6 degrees BTDC
>static?

Regarding the 6 deg BTDC static timing: when the engine is not running, it
doesn't really matter
what the timing is.  :-)

The "static timing" concept is for people too poor or cheap to get a timing
light.
Believe what the light tells you when the engine is running, and set the timing
then.

But in your case there should not be a big difference between the static and
idle timing.  If there is, it could be that:

1:  The idle RPM is too high (i.e. the engine is not really idling) and the
centrifugal
      advance is kicking in.

2:  The centrifugal advance springs are stretched or broken.

3:  Something is funky about the vacuum port on the carb.  Disconnect the hose
form the distributor and check the vacuum at idle.    Put your finger over the
end
of the hose and feel for any suction. There should be none.  When you blip the
throttle you should feel some.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit