Re: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question

To: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:26:37 -0400
Ah yes, the old "vacuum retard" issue again.

You can't really hook up the vacuum advance of your MK III distributor to your
MK IV Stromberg carb.
The problem is that the Stromberg's vacuum port provides a vacuum suitable only
for the MK IV distributor's
vacuum retard unit.  It provides full vacuum at idle, and no vacuum at part or
full throttle.  On the stock MK IV,
you will get retarded timing at idle strictly for emissions purposes, and no
vacuum advance
during actual driving.

A conventional "ported vacuum advance" setup like the MK III used provides no
vacuum at idle,
partial vacuum at partial throttle, and no vacuum at full-throttle.  This
causes no vacuum advance
at idle (for emissions) and maximum advance at partial throttle (for economy).

Your best bet is to simply leave the vacuum advance unconnected, and set the
timing to 6 deg. BTDC or so.
When you are not using a MK IV vacuum retard distributor, you MUST IGNORE the
stuff
about the 2 deg. ATDC timing!

Or you can get some MK III SU carbs to go with the distributor :-)

The same problem arises in reverse when you attempt to use SUs or Webers
with the stock MK IV distributor.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit