Mystery distributor - ignition timing question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:48:51 -0400
Friends -

When I rebuilt the engine in my MkIV recently, I replaced the worn-out
distributor with a unit I got from a junker, a 1971 Mk 3. The
replacement unit had been recently rebuilt, less than 500 miles when
the car was rear-ended. It's in good shape. My mechanic, the estimable
Dave Crane, liked the unit and said the advance would be an improvement
since I had the engine rebuilt to stock configuration (no special cams
or anything).

The Delco-Remy number on the side is 7593557. That "3" may be an "8",
it's very faint. It has the vacuum advance unit on the side plus the
adjustment knob that lets you advance or retard the spark while the
engine is running.

So, here's my question - anyone have any idea of where to set the
ignition? My Bentley manual mentions several Delco distributors by
number, but not the number above. Right now I have it set to 6 degrees
ATDC static which comes out to 2 degrees ATDC at idle. Advance seems
good, I can rev the engine with the strobe light on and the spark
advances smartly.

Engine seems to run a little hot - at least the gauge reads higher than
it used to. I understand that new engines tend to run a little on the
hot side, but I wanted to get a second opinion on that ignition timing.

Thanks much!

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
'72 MkIV