Re: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery distributor - ignition timing question
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:53:17 -0400
Doug Braun kindly wrote:

> Your best bet is to simply leave the vacuum advance unconnected, and
> set the timing to 6 deg. BTDC or so.
> When you are not using a MK IV vacuum retard distributor, you MUST
> IGNORE the stuff
> about the 2 deg. ATDC timing!
>
> Or you can get some MK III SU carbs to go with the distributor :-)

Well, like an idiot, I forgot to mention that I also got the twin SU
carbs off that junker Mk 3 because the previous owner, a wiser man than
me, said "Hey, you'll need these carbs to make that distributor work
properly . . . "

They are on the car and I have a good leak-free line from the carbs to
the distributor.

So, looks like I have the proper mechanical setup. Set it to 6 degrees
BTDC static?

Oh, by the way, speaking of that Mk 3 - I have several items the owner
gave me since he just couldn't watch good parts go to the junkyard. One
of these is a generator (not sure if it was on the car, or just
something he had) which he said works but I have no way to test it, and
the jack. Jack needs a good cleaning but is otherwise OK. I have been
stepping on them for too long! I guess I could set up an account on
Ebay, but who needs the headache. If anyone needs these items drop me a
line. They are both heavy so shipping will not be trivial. Yes, they
are free - my way of thanking the fellows who have helped me over the
years. First come, first served. If you are in NC, drop by and pick
them up.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
'72 MkIV