Didn't take me long... new Spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Didn't take me long... new Spit
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 12:47:37 +0100 (BST)
Listereees....

Didn't take me long to get another one, huh? Just over a month...

Yesterday me and my Dad drove down to Dorset from London (~130 miles) - to
see a Spitfire... no idea what it was really like but from the description
is sounded great.

The moment I saw the Spitfire I knew that this was the one! Once we opened
the bonnet... I was even more sure!

I'm guessing you're all after photos now...

http://www.pbase.com/jamescarruthers/30may03

Still needs the rear chrome putting on... came with the car so it just
needs cleaning up and bolting on...

It's a pretty much standard late 1969 Mk3 Spitfire... restored a year ago
and then sold to the PO...

The ride is amazing... feels like youre just floating along... unlike my
old 1500 which was more of a lollop (if thats a word) along...

The whole car is super clean... a few parts need a little cleaning up -
the seats need a bit of a retrim - but not majorly... that's about it...
oh and the front left brake is squealing... Im guessing its lost its
shim... oh and the clutch pedal is rather "soggy" - so probably needs
bleeding... takes a double pump to get it to engage... and the oil in the
gearbox feels a bit too heavy also... feels like stiring molten lava...

I am yet to master the 3-rail! The first few starts from a standin were
interesting... notably sitting at a roundabout for a couple of minutes
figuring out why it wouldnt get it in first (a combination of no syncros
and the annoying clutch) How I miss the single rail!... that gear box is
so much better... the clutch doesnt help though... anyway... I'll just
have to get used to it...

I did drive this home from Dorset by the way... on a very very hot day...
I don't think I have ever been so tired in my life!

The receipts that came with the car are incredible... and take about 15
minutes to read through! Most of the car is new...

Oh, and is it me, or does it feel like youre sitting lower in a Mk3 than a
1500? The seats are so much more comfortable than the 1500's also... much
more side support... sort of a bucket effect...

James

1969 Signal Red Spit (yyyeeeehhhhaaawww!)