Re: Idle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Idle
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:24:24 +0000
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, at around 17:41:00 local time, Alan Lemen
<ralemen@cableone.net> wrote:
>Michael, I set my idle high at around 1000 rpm for that exact reason.
>Over the winter it stalled at junctions etc. when I have the lights on.

Dear Alan,

Sounds familiar...

> So up the idle. Should not cause a problem except at emissions testing
>where I made sure it was daylight and set it back down. It is a virtual
>UK spec as it has twin SU HS4 and as it is a '76 the same compression
>ratio as yours.

Yes, this should be identical.

> Electronics are all better than new on it as I have replaced
>everything over time. In fact yours may still be points like I had on
>my Dolomite and I have electronic ignition (upgraded twice in it's life
>since original) and that does not help.

Yes, points.

> Even has a newish alternator.
>I set the timing at the correct idle and then simply upped the idle speed.
>Yes it does drop about 200 rpm with the lights on

I'm not entirely convinced that Triumph could have got away with
producing a car that did this when it was new.   Short term, I can, as
you have done, simply set the idle at 850 with headlights,
radio-cassette, hazard lights and so on all running, but I am certain
that there is something I could tighten, loosen, repair or replace,
which would cure the problem.   If I ever find it, I'll let you know!

> and I upped the power of my lights just slightly with new headlamps
>when I fitted them after it was painted and I was putting everything
>back on.

My headlights are standard Lucas sealed-beam units, as per original
spec.

>Problem is that any load dops the idle on our cars unlike the modern
>ones with computers that keep it constant.

I can accept that, but a 200 rpm drop just because the headlights are on
seems excessive to me.   Thanks for the reassurance that I am not alone,
though!

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671