Idle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Idle
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:01:24 +0000
Dear All,

I have been having trouble getting the idle setting right on Carly
(stock UK-spec '77 1500).   Having fixed the blowing exhaust manifold
gasket, and refilled the car with four star leaded petrol, she should
have been idling smoothly at about 850.   She wasn't.   She coughed and
spluttered and died.   So I tweaked the screws on the top of the SUs  by
about 30 degrees until I got a nice smooth idle at 850.   No problem.
Then I turned the headlights on.   The engine revs immediately dropped
by about 200 rpm, then she coughed, spluttered and died.   This problem
recurred about 90% of the times I tried it.

This has to be an electrical problem, but I can't figure out where it
is, or what I need to do to fix it.   Can anyone help?   Please?

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671