Re: tappets

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>,
Subject: Re: tappets
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:25:42 -0400
I have to jump in here because just yesterday afternoon I was adjusting the
valve lash after torquing down the engine.
Being inexperienced in mechanics, I followed the Haines in torquing down the
engine hot and then, adjusting the valves on a cool engine to
specifications.
To my surprise, the next thing I hear is that this could have maybe done on
a hot engine with maybe better accuracy. Somewhat surprised, I was now
questioning the specification for this procedure, but since nobody seemed to
know, I opted to stay with the known facts and play it safe. No sense in
playing around with unknowns and risking burning out a cylinder.
Let common sense prevail.
My 2 cents.
Liv