Re: tappets

To: ralemen@cableone.net
Subject: Re: tappets
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:39:29 -0600
ralemen@cableone.net wrote:

> I'll second that, although according to my friend, his MGB (he is looking at
>replacing it with a TR6 now) is supposed to be adjusted when hot.

The original question was the correct method for a Triumph. The simple
answer is "cold." The published specs are to used cold. There are no
published specs for hot. So, simply, if someone says, adjust them hot,
and one uses the published specs, the valve lash adjustment will be
incorrect.

I think what Nolan Penny was originally trying to say is that, _if_ one
adjusts the valves cold to the published specs, runs the engine until
hot, and then checks the actual lash after everything has grown from
heat, takes those figures, derived empirically, then one can use those
figures in the future to check when hot. That's okay, but it still
depends on the speed of the mechanic, and his or her ability to check
and adjust those clearances rapidly enough to avoid errors from engine
cooling.

For the novice, the ordinary driver, the shadetree mechanic, careful
adjustment when the engine is cold to the cold specs is perfectly
adequate and will prevent errors which can cost a cam and/or followers
or valve burning.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....