Re: O2/Lambda Sensor - Now Temperature

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: O2/Lambda Sensor - Now Temperature
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:09:15 +0100
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, at around 16:34:38 local time, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:

>Well, this has lead me to more interesting finds. You can get LCD modules
>for everything - how about a temperature module? - see your water
>temperature to the 0.1 degree C - slowly watch it rise as it overheats on a
>sunny day in traffic.
>
>Ive wanted one for ages that does temperature - its always interesting to
>see what it is. So I have 3 ideas - cabin temp, outside temp and water temp
>- all off the same module - accessible through a simple 3-way switch. I have
>no idea how hot the water gets though - so it might not be in the range of
>the module (110c).

I must admit that I am a fan of gauges, especially in cars.   One of the
main reasons that I bought my Saab was the on-board computer that tells
you your battery voltage and your average MPG, plus the "live" Current
MPG gauge (makes one very aware of the weight of one's left foot).   My
'63 Herald has a bank of four aftermarket gauges in it, giving me the
capability of worrying about several things at once (Water Temperature,
Oil Pressure, Amperes and a Vacuum Gauge).

A DRO water temperature gauge for a Spit is a nice idea, but I can't see
the point of a cabin temperature gauge - your body is perfectly capable
of giving you the only important data (too hot/too cold).

Since you are obviously an electronics wizz, here are a few other ideas
for gauges that you might conceivably find useful in a Spitfire:

Wind Gauge (direction and wind-speed)
- Lets you know when you are driving in a strong cross-wind, and which
  direction and angle to steer to overcome it

Rain Gauge
- Lets you know when it is time to put up the hood

Insolation Gauge
- Lets you know when it is time to put a hat/sun-tan lotion on

FeO2 Gauge
- Calculates the average amount of metal converted to rust, per minute,
  based on relative humidity and salinity data

Tyre Wear/Aquaplaning Gauge
- Reports percentage grip of drive wheels

Tyre Pressure Gauge
- Constantly compares the distance between the road surface and the
  wheel rim, and advises when it is time to pump up the tyres

Exhaust Pipe Wear Gauge
- Reports on the volume of the exhaust note - a step increase implies a
  blown exhaust

Electrical System Gauge
- Constantly updates the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of the Lucas
  electrical system, and reports it to the nearest second (i.e. 2 sig.
  fig.)

Driver's Seat Cushion Replacement Warning Gauge
- Measures the distance between your backside and the floor, and flashes
  a warning light when the seat cushion thickness fall to a pre-
  determined level

Oil Viscosity Gauge
- Tells you when it is time to make an oil change (my Saab actually has
  this!)

Windscreen Washer Reservoir Fluid Gauge
- Saab really fell down on this one, only providing an idiot light
  ("Getting Low").   What we need is a gauge that reports the precise
  amount of fluid in the reservoir, together with the ratio of water to
  screenwash, and the optimum ratio for the ambient temperature.

Imminent Impact Gauge
- Reports when you are about to hit something - vitally important, if
  you've got a whole load of gauges to watch.

>Hmmmm... now - where to mount it without destroying the beauty of the
>dash...

To mount all the above, first remove the passenger seat, and install a
standard 19" racking system...

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671