Re: Wheel colour - Spitfire 4

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel colour - Spitfire 4
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 19:14:54 +0100
> >> Alternatively, I could
> >> chip a bit of paint off the wheels of my new 1963 Herald and send it to
> >> you for computer colour matching.   Any use?
> >> >
> >How could you possibly suggest chipping away at your Herald! I hope the
poor
> >dear is far enough out of earshot not to have it's feelings hurt :o)
>
> Her poor wheels had been fitted with full-diameter hub-caps off a Ford
> Zephyr, the retaining clips of which have badly damaged the paintwork on
> them.  That being the case, there are plenty of little chips of paint
> flaking off that could be rescued and sent to you for analysis.   After
> all, its all got to come off before I get them repainted, and it
> wouldn't hurt to use the right colour paint to do it!   (Though it may
> seem madness, there's method in't!)

Ok, Michael, I think I can let you off after that explanation, think maybe
the Herald will too :o)

Although I like the idea of bring Sybil back to as original a state as
possible I don't somehow think I'd be wanting to go to quite that extreme
though it may be that someone has the facilities to do so easily and may
take you up on the idea of analysing some paint chips - Alternately, someone
else may have already done the research and can suggest a specific shade/can
from Halfords etc to make things easier for the rest of us. You'll have seen
that on the Herald list it's been suggested that the wheels had originally
been done in Spa White but I don't know how easy (not being into the
intricacies of paints & spraying myself) it is to come up with a current
product from just the original paint name.

> >It's just that Guy had the feeling
> >that the shade of the wheels didn't exactly match the whites used on the
car
> >bodies at that time and I hoped to find confirmation or otherwise fo
that.

> Interesting thought.   He may be right.   The wheels do seem a little
> darker than the bodywork, but this is possibly because they have had
> years of road grime building up under those Ford hub-caps, which is now
> ingrained into the surface of the paint.

Of course, it may be that the answer is that simple after all and that it
was the same shade as the bodies. I wonder if anyone will ever come up with
the definitive answer.

Suzie
Spitfire MkI, II & III Secretary, TSSC
'68 MkIII - Baby Blue