Re: Wheel colour - Spitfire 4

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel colour - Spitfire 4
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 08:52:49 +0100
In article <LAW2-OE58id68fe8pKb000030be@hotmail.com>, Suzie
<suzie_bear@hotmail.com> writes
>> >Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I know the wheels should be
>white
>> >but I'm trying to find out which 'modern' shade of off-white would be the
>> >closest match to use nowadays.
>>
>> Sorry - I should have assumed that you'd be 'way ahead of me!
>>
>I'm not that far ahead, just trying to grope my way through a minefield of
>originality vs versions of 'it's better this way'!

<g>

>>  From recent experience with paint codes, Halfords has a conversion chart
>> (Triumph is listed under "Rover Group" I think - or, just possibly, BL),
>> which should allow you to get pretty close.   Alternatively, I could
>> chip a bit of paint off the wheels of my new 1963 Herald and send it to
>> you for computer colour matching.   Any use?
>> >
>How could you possibly suggest chipping away at your Herald! I hope the poor
>dear is far enough out of earshot not to have it's feelings hurt :o)

Her poor wheels had been fitted with full-diameter hub-caps off a Ford
Zephyr, the retaining clips of which have badly damaged the paintwork on
them.  That being the case, there are plenty of little chips of paint
flaking off that could be rescued and sent to you for analysis.   After
all, its all got to come off before I get them repainted, and it
wouldn't hurt to use the right colour paint to do it!   (Though it may
seem madness, there's method in't!)

>I think I'd hope for some other source of inspiration before having to
>resort to that method but thanks anyway. I could probably find enough
>original white on Sybil's wheels amongst the rust spots to try that route if
>necessary and as they will need doing wouldn't cause too much harm.
>Otherwise I'll go check out Halfords. It's just that Guy had the feeling
>that the shade of the wheels didn't exactly match the whites used on the car
>bodies at that time and I hoped to find confirmation or otherwise fo that.

Interesting thought.   He may be right.   The wheels do seem a little
darker than the bodywork, but this is possibly because they have had
years of road grime building up under those Ford hub-caps, which is now
ingrained into the surface of the paint.

>> >I do have John's book and others and I've been studying them like mad
>since
>> >I took on the post and poring over Sybil and Baby Blue with book in one
>hand
>> >and camera in other in preparation for upcoming articles :o)
>>
>> <g>
>>
>> I spent the first few months of owning Carly doing the same thing, and
>> I've just started the same approach with X (the as-yet-unnamed Herald).
>> No articles resulted, though - all my writing is on military history.
>>

>Well, you can obviously do the writing bit, and have done a lot of research
>with the cars so why not put pen to paper and send something to the TSSC.
>Just a thought...

I don't need any *more* unpaid writing work!    There's enough of that
around in the military history field. <g>

ATB

--
Mike
1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV