waterpump question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: waterpump question
From: mayer49@netscape.net
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:11:25 -0500
Hello all,
  This weekend I tore apart the water pump becuase the pully wasn't turning at
all.  I also wanted to change the thermostat.
Now my question is, there is a big silver 'thing' attatched to the pully that i
cannot get off.  Every book i have looked in there is no such device attatched
to the pully.
  Has anyone had any experience with these or know how to get it off?  I need
to get it off so i can disassemble the rest of it.
Here are some pictures i took of it as i was taking it apart.
http://angelfire.com/d20/davies_stuff/cars/waterpump.html
Thanks,
  Dave
  '68 Spit MK3