Waterpump question

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Waterpump question
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:22:44 -0500
Dave,

Did that water pump come off of your engine?  If so, I'm beginning to wonder
if you have a 1500 engine!  I can't tell from your picture of the engine,
but you might want to submit the head or engine block number to the spitfire
list to make sure you know which engine you are working on before ordering
parts....We've got great bunch of guys/gals on this list!

I've worked on two Spitfires ('72 and '76), both times the water pumps had
to be replaced before I could start the engine!  Both times, the pumps
appeared fine and turned smoothly, but the antifreeze poured out.

Also, start collecting catalogs from Victoria British, Spitbits and/or Moss,
to help identify the parts on your car.

Ward
'76 on stands.
Brake work is next (with Silicone)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:10:04 -0500

   Let's just say that i tear the whole thing apart and get it working
again.  K?  The body of the waterpump fits onto my the head fine and could
be used i think with a new thermostat and top elbow.
   Now...even though this pump assembly is not for my car, couldn't the pump
be used on it anyways?  Or would it be easier and more advisable to just buy
a new pump all together from somewhere/someone so that i have the right one?
Again i am looking to save some money for now until i have the money to
spend on the car and get it all back to original and looking much better.
But for now i just want to try to get it running.
Any thoughts?

http://angelfire.com/d20/davies_stuff/cars/waterpump.html

Thanks again,
  Dave