Re: oil pressure light

To: William Davies <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Subject: Re: oil pressure light
From: Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:03:16 EST
William Davies <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk> wrote :

>With an engine that's been laid up (as I personally know that one has!) it's a
>good practice to change to oil pressure sender on the block. I had a Herald
>with what I thought was terminally low oil pressure - the car had been garaged
>for about 7 years before I bought it. A new sender and that engine did another
>30,000 miles before being retired  due to bore wear. Oil pressure stayed good
> right to the end,
>     Cheers,
>         Bill.

My Spit engine... actually my wife's spit engine had been stooped for 5-10
years before I acquired the car.  The engine is running fine but the oil
pressure is very low.  At least according the the Oil Presure gauge.  Changing
the unit would be the easiest way to confirm this.

Here's my question:  For a '69 Spit with a Oil Pressure gauge (not light),
which sending unit do I need to get?  The 3 prongs version or the 1 prong
version?

I checked on SpitBits site and for the Mark 1 to III, the 1 prong version is
listed. For the Mark IV and 1500, both are listed.  I'm no electrical engineer
but I would thing that for a warning light you would need only 1 prong but for
the gauge, you would need the 3 prong version.

I'm asking 'cause my gauges are not original.  There should be only 2 gauges in
my Spit but currently I have 5.  I know that Fuel is one of the originals but I
don't know which one would the second one would be in the original
configuration.

Thanks
Steph
Ottawa, Canada
'69 Spit - Hers (Still sleeping but not for long!)
'71 TR6 - Mine (Still in thousands of pieces!)