Re: Is Triumph coming Back???

To: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>,
Subject: Re: Is Triumph coming Back???
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:31:15 +0100
At 10:47 11-1-2001 -0500, Bowen, Patrick wrote:

>I was researching trademarks today for work and got curious, so I checked
>Triumph.  Well there were 237 trademarks with the Triumph name in them, of
>interest was the fact that on October 19th of 2000 BMW trademarked Triumph,
>I was not able to find an earlier trademark on the marque.  So why the
>sudden interest in Triumph, a marque that has not been used in 20 years?  I
>know last year they refused to sell the Triumph and Riley name.  HMMM, Now I
>am getting Curious.

The name Triumph is connected by the public to open two-seaters and
so-called 'sports saloons'. In the good old days, BMW and Triumph were
almost direct competitors in the European sports saloon market. I suspect
BMW wants the name Triumph only to prevent another company using the name
Triumph for sports saloons. It would be bad for BMW's business if they
turned out to be good cars.

>Anybody have inside info.

No inside info, this is just my theory.

--