Re: Steel Wheel restoration

To: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Subject: Re: Steel Wheel restoration
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:47:39 -0500
In message <003901c07a82$298827e0$c08f7018@lndn1.on.wave.home.com>you write:

>Greetings all,
>
>    My first project of the year when Fireball is removed from his warm
>winter's nap will be to restore the original steel wheels.  I have access to a
>sandblaster, so that's how I figured I'd remove the old finish, but I'm not
>sure how to tackle the prep and finish work.  At Canadian Tire (Our version of
>Pep Boys, but with hardware, houseware and sporting goods too) they sell a
>'steel wheel paint', which I believe is made by Bondo (it's packaged under
>their home brand)... But what should I do about the bare metal?

  I did this a few years back on my Spit.  I used the Stainless steel wheel
  paint from Canadain Tire and  Rust Destroyer (red) primer.  I don't know
  what kid of steel the wheels are made of but, after the sandblasting I
  wash the wheels off with water and I can see rust starting to form before
  I got a chance to dry it with compressed air.

  So, be sure to whip the wheel off with rubbing alcohol before putting on
  the rust fighting primer.  It has been 3 years since I painted the wheels
  and they are holding up well with no signs of rust.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html