Steel Wheel restoration

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steel Wheel restoration
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:21:42 -0500
Greetings all,

    My first project of the year when Fireball is removed from his warm
winter's nap will be to restore the original steel wheels.  I have access to a
sandblaster, so that's how I figured I'd remove the old finish, but I'm not
sure how to tackle the prep and finish work.  At Canadian Tire (Our version of
Pep Boys, but with hardware, houseware and sporting goods too) they sell a
'steel wheel paint', which I believe is made by Bondo (it's packaged under
their home brand)... But what should I do about the bare metal?

Luke and Big Woody (The '85 Voyager that I got for $100 plus a set of snow
tires and front springs)

London, Ont. Canada

(Where we've had over 160 cm of snow so far this winter  - 63 inches - second
most snow on record!  If I'd tried to drive Fireball through this winter, I'd
have been stuck at the end of my driveway from Dec. 2 until spring thaw!)