Re: Voltage Stabiliser

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Voltage Stabiliser
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:47:11 -0500
At 05:23 PM 1/6/01 -0800, Alan Lemen wrote:

>Voltage on stabiliser side of instruments is all over the place on my
>DVM. Max is just over 11v and min just over 6v.  Since the engine is not
>running and it's simply the battery I did not expect this. I had hoped
>to see stable 10v (I am sure I had seen this value somewhere before and
>it has to be less than the battery voltage).
>
>Question is what voltage should it be and should it be stable. It is
>supposed to be a stabiliser.

Alan,

  This is one place the DVM is not a good thing.  The voltage stablizer is
actually a bimetalic switch.  As it heats up it open, then cools down and
closes.  So you actually are turning on and off the flow of current.  The
net result is about 10V.

  On my Morgan I made and electronic stabalizer - don't really know how well
it works yet.  But when I put in the new Temp. guage, it wanted 10V instead
of the 12V.  So I took a 3 terminal regulator and set it up to output 10V.

   One of these days, I'll check it out and get the car really running.  It's
been a show car for the last several years.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org