Re: Things to do with the LBC...

To: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Things to do with the LBC...
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:56:24 -0500
At 07:44 PM 1/2/2001 -0800, reed mideke wrote:
>One thing to remember about spitfire brakes is that the rears
>are manual adjust and need periodic adjustment. (unlike most cars
>as far back as about 1960).

More often after lining replacement!  I adjusted my rear brakes three or
four times over 2000 miles until the shoes "wore in" and contacted the
drums along the majority of the arc.

>... It takes
>some getting used to though. Now whenever I get in another car I
>stop VERY suddenly for the first few times.

Remember when auto road tests had "Brake Pedal Force" specs for cold and
hot brakes?  You don't see that on contemporary reports, do you?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (I joke about "the original Anti-Lock Brakes" but actually
they work well)
Succasunna, NJ USA