Magic Cure In A Bottle

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Magic Cure In A Bottle
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 02 Jan 2001 10:21:02 -0600
I am always deeply suspicious of any bottles of magic liquid to pour into your
 engine/gearbox/wherever that claim to do wonders.  I therefore feel that it is
 only fair and just that when one such bottle did exactly what it claimed to, I
 should publicly declare its success.

I will admit now I did not use this on Daffy, but Cyril (my wifes 12-year-old
 Citroen BX), but I do not apologise for mentioning it here as its application
 is universal.  Cyril was losing a lot of coolant (top-up almost every day),
 with no obvious external leak, so an internal crack in the block or (more
 likely, being aluminium) head was suspected.  Given that the engine was
 otherwise scap, I had nothing to lose, so I tried a bottle of "Block crack
 repairer" from Halfords (major UK car parts and accessories chain).  All I had
 to do was removed the thermostat (and put the housing back on without it),
 drain the coolant, top up with pure water, and add this thick, reddish gloop
 to the radiator.  Drive around for three days, drain the coolant + gloop,
 replace the thermostat, and fill up with normal water/anti-freeze mixture.

Ignoring a few side-issues related to Citroens that are neither interesting or
 relevant to Spitfires, I did exactly as instructed, and the gloop did exactly
 what it said it would.  The car has now run for a fortnight (with a lot of use
 over the Christmas holidays) without needing topping-up once.  I have not
 checked levels recently, but since it did need topping up daily, this is a big
 imrovement at the very least, and may well be a complete cure.  The engine
 runs fine, there is no evidence of overheating (no gauge, only a warning light
 on this car), my wife is happy.

By bizarre co-incidence, my mothers BX (different engine) had developed a large
 external block crack.  My father planned to give her a new car for Christmas
 anyway, but wanted to make her car limp as far as Christmas day, so I told him
 about this.  He had already used a sort of epoxy putty stuff to plug up the
 crack, and the red gloop seemd to finish fixing the problem.

Obviously it has only been a fortnight, so long-term effects cannot be judged.
 However, since a cracked block or head is otherwise junk, you have nothing to
 lose, so on that basis, I can recommend that red gloop in a bottle DOES work
 to fix cracked blocks and heads - and it only costs 5 quid ($8).

My personal inclination would still be to stay away from the similar
 radiator-repairing stuff you can buy, if I cared deeply about the engine.
 Anything that can fill a crack could also constrict a coolant passage, and why
 risk a good engine for the sake of the radiator?  However, if the engine has
 had it anyway, where is the risk?

Richard & Daffy