Re: Things to do with the LBC...

To: raoul <raoul@calweb.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Things to do with the LBC...
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 02 Jan 2001 09:38:53 -0600
Raoul,

It's been a couple of days, but no-one seems to have gone through your list of
 questions, so I will do what I can here...

1.  Seat-belts.  Your best bet is any of the major Triumph dealers.  Living in
 the UK I'm not so familiar with what your US dealers, but the names that keep
 cropping up are British Parts North West (BPNW), Ted Schumacher Imports, Moss,
 Victoria British (Viccy Brit), The Roadster Factory (TRF).  Someone your side
 will have a better idea than I do, and will be able to give you contact
 details.  In the UK you cannot buy belts identical to the original inertia
 reel units (for safety reasons), but there are up-rated belts that fit that
 are sold by the major dealers here - I suspect it will be the same in the US.

2.  GT6 brakes - I have no idea.  I have recently done some work on my brakes,
 when the performance got very poor.  I found replacing the (very old and
 floppy) rubber brake hoses with steel braided ones improved my brakes a lot.
 You can also buy remote servo assistance units (about 200 pounds ($320) in the
 UK) which will reduce the force needed to press the pedal, although the brakes
 will not stop the car any more effectively.  Without assistance, you can do
 what you want to your brakes, you will still need to press the same force on
 your pedal to achieve the same stopping effort (unless GT6 brakes have a
 different piston area - force on each pad is the force on the pedal,
 multiplied by the pedal lever ratio, multiplied by the ratio of the piston
 area to the master cylinder piston area, ignoring parasitic losses) - unless
 some brake pads can give greater retardation for the same pad pressure, I'm
 not sure about this.  Other tricks like cross-drilling are aimed at improving
 the cooling of the brakes, to avoid the danger of losing braking effectiveness
 due to over-heating if the brakes are heavily used.

3.  Tops - no idea, never replaced mine.  Again, the major Triumph dealers will
 be able to supply you with a choice of tops, and will be able to tell you
 which best suits your needs (or gives them the biggest profit...).

4.  If your wiper motor is one-speed (MkI to early MkIV) it is GXE7714, if it
 is two-speed (later MkIV and 1500) it is 517621, according to the Rimmers
 catalogue.  Part number for the park switch for the one-speed motor is 511006;
 for the two-speed motor the park switch is 520160A.

5.  Never looked at my trip meter cable, so I don't know if one can be bodged
 up.  However, I doubt they cost much, so you can either buy one, or pull one
 off a scrap car.

6.  Speedo - strange.  I'm not sure how it could be reading wrong - as I
 understood it they read right (or at least as right as a mechanical speedo
 ever can be, and they can be several mph out), or not at all.  The same unit
 is used whether or not O/D is fitted, so you shouldn't have the wrong one.
 However, compare the part number of the one you removed and the new one.  What
 model is your car?  Rimmers list one speedo for each mark, except MkIII, where
 there is a choice depending on your axle ratio.  I have no idea if they can be
 adjusted, but they are not cheap to replace (50 pounds ($80) in the UK), so
 it's worth finding out!

7.  Vacuum advance - never played around there, can't help you.  Sorry!

8.  As before, most of the big suppliers should be able to supply new window,
 new head-liner and whatever else you want.  Failing that, try Rimmers
 (www.rimmerbros.co.uk), who seem to stock a bigger range than anyone else,
 although they are not the cheapest, and you will have to pay for shipping to
 the US (unless you catch them during one of their 'free shipping' offers they
 have time to time).

Hope I've been able to help a little - really I'm just bombarding you with my
 opinion on most of this stuff!

Richard & Daffy (Inca Yellow '78 Spit 1500 - battling determindly through the
 winter, and loving it!)