Re: Tense driving lately

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tense driving lately
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:04:13 -0800
I think that what we're talking about here is responsibility
and learning that driving is a privilege and not a right.

I'm an epileptic. My epilepsy is under control-haven't had a seizure
in years. I am diligent about taking my meds and not drinking-and certainly
not driving when I feel 'funny'. When I came back to the states, I was
honest about my epilepsy when I went to get my California drivers
license-and so I had to go through a screening and a hearing. And then
wait as they decided if I would have that privilege of a drivers license.
(In many states, epileptics are not allowed drivers licenses. But alcoholics
are...I won't even go there!) And believe me, I consider it a privilege.

I can understand why I had to go through what I went through- I do
know of epileptics who lie on the drivers license application, don't take
their
meds, drink (which increses the chance of a seizure and reduces the efficacy
of
anti-convulsants), and just don't take care of themselves. It makes it
harder on
the rest of us who comply. However, there are so many situations and
conditions
that I think should also be taken into consideration before getting a
license.

Well, off the soap box,

Laura G.

p.s.-missed 3 questions on the written test-all about alcohol percentages-I
don't drink
so how should I know?-and I got a 96 on the driving test.

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!