Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:13:02 -0600
Reid,
   Thanks for your insight.  I will in fact be checking the vapor separator
& rear restrictor (I'm methodically going from front to rear).
   My plastic canisters have a plastic "lid" on the bottom (like a canning
jar turned upside down).  Unfortunately, the lid is not threaded on, but is
pressed on and apparently held with a bit of cement.  I put a screwdriver
between the lip of the lid and the canister body, & worked it around tapping
it with a hammer.  The lid on canister #1 popped free very neatly.  On
canister #2 it was stuck much better, & I wound up cracking off about 1/2 of
the lid's lip.  Not a problem though (other than cosmetically) because there
is also an inner lip on the lid which provides something for re-assembly; to
secure the lid back onto the canister, I ran a couple of sheetmetal screws
through the lip, canister body (& inner lip).
   Initially, I ran water through the canister & it came out pretty clear.
However, something (probably curiosity) compelled me to go further, and I'm
glad I did.  The 2 "screens" inside the #1 canister were completely blocked
by slimy, oozy crud, and #2's screens were not too much better.  The
charcoal itself looked pretty good  (but I did rinse it and dry it in the
sun before re-assembly).
   Actually, the most annoying part of the exercise was hack-sawing through
the rusty screws which compress the mounting ring.

Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O