Re: 74 Is Alive!/elec. feul pump

To: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Subject: Re: 74 Is Alive!/elec. feul pump
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:01:34 -0700

"Terry L. Thompson" wrote:

> I've been debating where to mount my electric fuel pump,
> and one of the suggestions is that the pump should be below
> the fuel tank (when the car is level) so that the pump is
> gravity fed, and has less work to do.

That is not so with the later Spitfire tanks.  The reason is because
regardless of where the pump is located, the fuel is sucked out of the
tank from above via a suction tube that is located on top to the right
of the fuel inlet.  On earlier bottom feed tanks it does apply.

> The two places I've considered are A) in the trunk near
> the gas tank which is some distance from the carb or B)on
> the frame perhaps next to the starter, which puts it very
> close to road debris from the tires.

Because of safety concerns, I located mine in the trunk.  Shoiuld one of
the rubber hoses rupture the fuel would be kept in the trunk area rather
in the engine compartment next to heat and sparks (starter commutator).

> If anyone has a decent mounting point, away from a hot spot
> and interference of moving parts, I'd like to know, so I
> only have to re-run the fuel line once.

Mine is to the left and below the tank in the void between the tank and
the floor of the trunk.

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer