Re: Commission plate location.

To: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Commission plate location.
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:17:03 -0600
Bill,
That might very well be true.  It would certainly explain why the holes
on the cowl are still there even though the plate has been attached to
the B post.  My own experiences are mostly on US market cars, so I don't
really have a point of comparison.  But apparently the change over (in
the US at least) happened on the late Mk3 models and most (if not all)
North American cars thereafter had them located there as well.

If this is the case, it might be explained as the US paranoia about
thieves not being able to remove the plate if the door is locked,
whereas most Spit bonnets are not lockable.  It's an interesting theory,
anyway.

Regards,
Joe.

P.S. you might want to do a cursory study of MkIV and 1500 models to see
if it is consistent outside North America.