Re: Thrust washers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thrust washers
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:50:24 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/99 9:41:56 PM EST, griffco@mail.cadvision.com writes:

> Well Guys,
>       Give me the bad news.
>
>  I just pulled the pan of my MK IV and found two thrust washers lying in
>  the bottom.  Not a lot of sludge, but then I had just changed the oil
>  last week.  Onw washer gotpretty mangled as if fell out, and the bearing
>  cap has what looks like a lot of scoring on it.
>
>       So, what is the verdict?  Is there any hope of
>  rebuilding/machining/repairing the bearing cap, block and/or crankshaft?
>
>       Isn't that the way it goes - I just installed a new steering
>  wheel cover and was looking forward to going for a spin!
>  Cheers (tears), Fred
>  --
My condolences and I mean that sincerely.  This block is done for - too
expensive to fix and most machine shops won't touch it anyway. Now, I have
been down this path and you DO have some options with regard to used engines
in various conditions and price ranges or even consider "upgrades" to a 1500
or a Spit6.

Putting a new block in can be done with no special tools other than a torque
wrench, and the engine can be lifted by two guys with a 2X4 piece of lumber.
Don't despair, think about what you want to do, what you want to spend, what
you want to end up with etc and I'm sure that the list can provide you with
lots of good advice.

Good luck!

-Greg