[Shop-talk] Mice?

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Mice?
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:35:25 -0700
Or voles, or field mice.  Small rodents are trying to nest in the engine
compartment of my 2004 Sierra (the previous subject of towing a bunch of
iron to Utah from Washington).  Last week when I popped the hood a mouse
was standing on the fan shroud just staring at me, then it wandered down
to the extensive nest it had made above the left cylinder bank.  I
vacuumed/blew the nest material out and went about my project of trying
to determine the axle ratio/engine size. Today I moved the truck out of
the shop and into the driveway and when I got out of the truck a mouse
ran out of the engine compartment and into the shrubbery.  The engine
smells like mouse pee, but I can't find any new nest.  I hosed the top
of the engine block down with Lysol, but I need to find something to
keep the mice away, if possible.  Any ideas?  I really don't want to
have them get into the cab.  A few years ago they got into the ac/heat
fan blower cage of my wife's Forester and THAT was a mess to clean out
because they had babies.  Unfortunately they didn't survive cycling the
fan a few times, and Subaru made the fan modular so it was pretty simple
to get out once I figured out how.

So any ideas on rodent repellant?  I have already asked my wife to have
our pest control contractor come out and put bait stations in the shop,
but that might not be enough.

Thanks