[Shop-talk] A new OT problem.....

Subject: [Shop-talk] A new OT problem.....
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:56:59 -0400
At 11:20 AM 4/16/2011, Gerald Brazil wrote:

 >OK since most of us agree that there is a great amount of talent in this
 >group I have a new challenge for it. I hope there are a few experts in
 >wireless remote control devices.

Gerald,

A couple of ideas.

1.  What I've done is to put my keys on several different circular
key rings.  I have
      one ring that contains the keys for my xB, the wife's mini van,
and my Morgan.
      Another key ring has the keys for my dads F150 truck.  Another
ring has the house,
      garage and other misc. keys, and finally one last ring that has
the remote entry key
      fob for my xb.

      All of these key rings are on a caribiner (the cheap $1).  I
attach this caribiner to a
      belt loop in on my pants.  This has eliminated a lot of holes
being poked in my pants
      and legs due to the keys.

      So when I need the keys to the car, I take the caribiner off my
pants, remove the
      ring with the car keys off the caribiner.  I insert these keys
into the ignition and off
      I go.  These does a couple of things for me:

           a.  I don't have a heavy wad of keys pulling on the
ignition lock and wearing it
                out.

           b. If I do inadvertantly lock my keys in the car, I have
the remote entry fob on
                my belt, not stuck in the ignition lock, so I can get
in the car and retreive my
                keys.

2. I doubt that there is anyone else in the neighborhood that is
causing the problem
     with your tailgate, at least from the key fob route.  These
remote entry systems use
     a radio frequency (RF) signal (so the bs about holding your cell
phone up to the door
     and having some press another fob doesn't work) and has a
rolling security code
     that changes everytime you use the system.

3. However, that doesn't preclude something like a Ham or CBer in the
neighborhood
     that may have a stray signal of some power that is over riding
your system.  I've
     heard a story of a fellow that had something on his car go
biserk on his way to work
     every morning.  Come to find out, he passed a pretty high power
transmitter and
     that the rf signal was getting into his car's electrical system
and over causing all
     sorts of things do to the rf interference.

My wife also uses the caribiner system.  She can attach the caribiner
to the strap of
her purse or just drop the entire thing into the purse depending on
how much stuff she
has in the purse.

Hope this helps.

John