Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a full tank

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a full tank
From: crothfuss@coastalnet.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:50:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Eric,

   If this is a tank full of flamable liquids (like gasoline) it's a lot of
work to drain/fill with water/drain water/dry/refill w/flamable liquid.  Far
easier to just remove the oxygen needed to support
combustion.  Car exhaust is available and portable.  With exhaust pumped into
the container to purge the
oxygen, you can weld the tank quickly without all the problems water can
create.  I've done this on several
gas tanks.  As always YMMV.  No idea if it's OSHA approved, or if it'll be safe
on every kind of tank/flamable liquid.

Chuck