Re: [Shop-talk] Adjusting exhaust

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Adjusting exhaust
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:26:09 -0500
> -Steve Trovato

> OK, I know the basics about bending tubing. B The situation I have is that
> have purchased a stainless exhaust system designed for my particular model
> car. B The problem is, it is not perfect. B Some adjustments have to be
made
> for it to fit into the car. B I can take a torch, get an area red hot and
> apply a little pressure. B I think if things go wrong, B the side of the
pipe
> that is being compressed tends to kink. B I try to apply more of the heat
> the stretching side. B I also try to adjust by taking the bends that are
> already there, and increasing or decreasing them. B Does anyone have any
> tricks I don't know for this job? B Thanks.

Before I started altering it I'd contact the vendor or the
manufacturer and ask them why it doesn't fit and what they suggest.
Once you start messing with it they probably won't warranty it for
you. Stainless systems are usually mandrel bent and without the
mandrel inside when you try to bend it the tubing may kink or
collapse.

FWIW,
Ron

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums