Re: [Shop-talk] u-verse

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] u-verse
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:28:45 -0600
> Dishes tend to be poorly aimed.  adjust until the signal is "good enough"
> not adjust until it's as high as it can  be.  So a marginal signal will
> get
> unusable in bad weather than a strong one.

I will agree with "poorly aimed" and the difference between "signal on the
meter" and "maximum signal strength".. I have installed and aimed both my
old dish and the new HD dish. The old dish was reasonably tolerant of aim to
the point where I could aim it using the receivers signal strength meter and
get good results. The HD dish not only required that I get an Acutrac III
signal strength meter - but that was a 'tool purchase' - but the signal
strength is very sensitive changes to the dish rotation, azimuth and
elevation, especially on the most westerly satellites. I was very surprised
at how small the changes were on the 'fine adjustment' as I went thru the
alignment incantation multiple times refining the signal strength. I could
not imagine a "paid by the job" installer having this much patience to do
the fine tuning.

Arvid