Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:12:53 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Mark Andy wrote:
> Yeah, that would be a possible option, though I dunno about insurance /
> liability / whatever.  Plus I have my own motorhome and enclosed trailer that
> if the building can hold those would probably be in there.  :-)
>
> I just don't have any idea as to a 'monthly budget amount' for running /
> maintaining a block building that size here in Ohio.  If its a couple hundred
> a month... Great!  But if its $500+/month, then the extra space is starting
> to be a downside and not an upside.

    I think you are over-thinking this 'problem'.  There's no way this is
going to come out negative versus, for example, paying to store your RV.
We're not talking about very much heat here... average temperature for
Youngstown, Ohio is only substantially below 40* for 3 months ( 30, 24,
and 26 for December through February, 38 for March ).  Keeping it at
normal house temperature would, I'm sure, be really expensive, but 40*F
should not be.

    If you have some sort of insulated workspace, as suggested, it should
stay pretty close to that even without heat.  My semi-insulated 2-car
attached garage near Chicago ( only a few degrees colder on average,
despite its chilly reputation ) doesn't go much below 30* even when I'm
not using it to park (warm) cars.

    My twopence.

--
  David Hillman